The SIWS Family Advocate is a neutral coordinator / facilitator who will:
- Work with the MCFD or Delegated Agency Social Worker to clarify child safety concerns and confirm the goal of the FCPC.
- Identify family and community members to participate in the FCPC.
- Facilitate a collaborative planning meeting that ensures all family participants and Social Worker are actively involved and heard.
- Support participants to agree on immediate issues and safety concerns and the next steps to address them.
- Ensure that the resulting plan is agreed to and signed off by the attending Social Worker.
- Document the plan and assist with monitoring its implementation.
What are the outcomes ?
An Family Case Planning Conference results in:
- Agreement on family strengths, issues that need to be addressed, next steps to address identified child safety concerns and, if need be, a plan for child placement and access.
- Greater participation and buy- in by the family, community, and Social Worker, resulting in a much higher likelihood of successful plan implementation.
- A collaborative alternative to mediation or court processes where plans can be reached quickly.
- Improved relationships between families, communities, and Social Workers.
- A reduction in Child Safety concerns, thereby reducing the number of children in care.