What is a
Permanency Plan?

A Permanency Plan can be developed for any Child in Care so that they may have a stable, permanent home and family, rather than remaining within the care of MCFD or a Delegated Aboriginal Agency.

Permanency Planning may involve an Extended Family Plan, 54.01, 54.1, 41.1.b or adoption.

Who Requests a Permanency Plan?

A Social Worker from MCFD or a Delegated Aboriginal Agency may request SIWS to develop a Permanency Plan for Aboriginal children who require a stable and permanent family placement.

Permanency planning is done for children in Continuing Care or for children in temporary placements, when reunification/placement with their immediate family is not possible.

Would you like to develop a Permanency Plan?

What is Involved?

The SIWS Family Advocate is a neutral coordinator / facilitator who will:

  • Research the status of the immediate biological family to determine whether their circumstances have changed since the child was brought into care and their ability to play a role in the ongoing care of the child.
  • Contact the child’s community of origin to identify extended family or community members that may be suitable options for permanent placement.

  • Assist family and community members as they prepare to participate in a Permanency Planning process.
  • Facilitate a collaborative planning process involving family, community members, and professionals to develop permanent placement options and develop a Permanency Plan.
  • Support family or community members, identified as a placement option by the Social Worker, to overcome barriers and prepare them for permanent placement.

What are the outcomes?

Referring Social Workers will receive up to date and documented information regarding:

  • The child’s community of origin and biological family.
  • The family’s ability to resume care for their child.
  • Names and contact information for extended family and other options for Permanency Planning.

Successful Permanency Planning will result in:

  • Fewer children brought into care due to increased use of out of care options.
  • Fewer children remaining in long term care due to permanent placement.
  • Improved outcomes for children that transition to a permanent family/home.

Have a Referral?

If you know an individual or family who you feel could benefit from these services, please complete a referral form. For any questions, please contact us at:

For youth under the age of 25.

For families currently involved with the Ministry of Child & Family Services.

For general support requests and one-to-one support for adults. For example: addictions, mental health, resource connections etc.